Sunday, July 25, 2010

Zachary Quinto Says 'Star Trek 2' Won't Start Filming For 'A While'

'I can't wait to go back,' actor said of sequel while attending San Diego Comic-Con.By Terri Schwartz, with reporting by Rick Marshall





Zachary Quinto

Photo: Jerod Harris/ Getty Images




Though Zachary Quinto is at San Diego Comic-Con to promote "Lucid," the first comic from his production company, Before the Door Pictures, which debuted at the Con, he was willing to shed some light on the upcoming "Star Trek 2."

There isn't much known about the sequel, though writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman told MTV News that they're "making significant process on the story." Quinto, who was joined by "Lucid" creator and author Michael McMillian at the convention, said he is ready for anything the writers throw at him.
"I can't wait to go back. We have a while until we're going to do another one. It probably won't be until next year at this time," he said, debunking rumors that filming would start in January.
J.J. Abrams, who directed 2009's "Star Trek," hasn't confirmed that he will be directing the sequel, but Quinto said he would still be onboard even if Abrams isn't.
"I have a lot of trust and gratitude and respect for J.J. [Abrams] and Damon Lindelof and for Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman. They know what they're doing," Quinto said. "I would obviously love to see J.J. directing every 'Star Trek' movie that I'm ever a part of, but if it's not the case, I'm sure whoever does will be someone he's chosen for whatever reason. They know what's up. I just show up where they tell me to show up and stand on a piece of tape."
When asked if there might be a Spock-versus-Khan confrontation in the film, Quinto avoided the question by pretending he was asked if there would be a Con, in the film. "Actually, 'Star Trek 2' takes place at Comic-Con. Have you gotten an advance copy of the script? Unacceptable," the actor joked.
Quinto continued, "I don't know man, I don't know. I'm just excited. My focus is elsewhere and I know that when the time is right and they want me to be involved again ... Until then, I love to let them do their thing because I know that what they're doing is really exciting but also really fun. They're good people."
MTV News and MySpace are live at the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con! From Seth Rogen and Michael Cera to Anna Kendrick and Bruce Willis, we're talking to some of the world's biggest stars during our daily live streams. So tune in to MTV.com at 6 p.m. ET/ 3 p.m. PT on Saturday to watch the fun unfold. And don't forget to check in for exclusive interviews, movie clips and much more!
For breaking comic book movie news, columns and more — updated around the clock — visit SplashPage.MTV.com.



Related Videos


MTV Rough Cut: Comic-Con 2010 Edition


2010 San Diego Comic-Con Exclusive Movie Videos


Related Photos


Comic-Con 2010: MTV Celebrity Interviews


San Diego Comic-Con 2010: Scenes From The Show


San Diego Comic-Con 2010 Costume Gallery

Rozonda Thomas